Wednesday, February 9, 2011

For the Human Defibrillators


Cancer sucks.

Its long-reaching arm slithered into my life in 2007 by way of a lump in my mother’s breast. I was notified by e-mail, the easiest way to communicate from America to West Africa.  Mom was very succinct in her wording and emphasized that I didn’t need to worry, we’d beat this.  After crying, yelling, and utilizing the throw function of my throw pillows, I went numb and went to bed.

The following morning I met with my fellow teachers for our daily prayer time.  They had been in prayer for Mom and inquired about the biopsy. I wanted to lie. Instead I cried. They began covering me in prayer and continued even past when the bell was supposed to ring.

I was brought back to this memorable morning a couple of weeks ago. In God’s sovereignty, I was at school when I found out the biopsy of Mom’s lymph nodes revealed cancer. E-mail wasn’t necessary since she teaches just 100 feet away.  Immediately as news spread, our teachers mobilized into an army of hugs and help. The following days proved to be nothing less than an unbelievable downpour of support. 

What is it about teachers? In what other profession will you find the most kind and compassionate friends? Their words constantly encourage. Their humor always hits the spot. Their generous gifts fill you up.  Their prayers are felt from your pre-dawn stirrings until you cry yourself to sleep at night. God uses them as the human defibrillators that shock your heart back to life when you’re paralyzed with fear.

How I thank God for the many groups of people He’s placed in my life to care for my family!  From our many church groups and extended family to friends across the world! And I promise to dedicate posts to all they've done too. But today’s Happy Food Dance is for my teacher family, without whom I’d have one less leg to stand on.

2 comments:

  1. Simply Beautiful Amber. Praying for you and your Momma!!

    ReplyDelete