Saturday, February 19, 2011

For Valentime's Day

Single. Dating. Engaged. Married. Whether recently heartbroken or crushing from afar.  No matter if I was mistakenly madly in love or for real head over heels.

I’ve always loved Valentine’s Day.

But the one that I’ll never forget was two blissful years ago. Long before AJ was a wink in my match.com inbox, I had made Vday plans with some girlfriends. In an effort to not wallow away in our singleness, we were going to celebrate together over lunch.

February 12th changed all that.

After our first date, AJ and I knew we had to see each other again. Immediately! We were able to spend a few wonderful hours together Friday; however, Saturday was his last day in town before returning to Texas.  We made some vague plans for that night, but that night wasn’t soon enough. At the girl’s lunch rather than giving my women’s liberation speech as planned, I spent every spare second texting him.  We agreed the minute I was done with lunch, we’d reattach the superglue holding us together. 

Both of us stuffed from big meals, we opted for walking the mall.  The romantical boy got me a balloon flower and then took me to Cheesecake Factory for some desserts to go.  The overly crowded lobby sent AJ into action. While we waited in line, he called in our order and it was ready right away.  Just another entry on my mental list of everything I was falling in love with about this man.

We like food. And we like to talk. And by this point we like just staring into each other’s eyes.  So we stopped as sonic for some tater tots and eye gazing. Followed by cheesecake and eye gazing on the couch at my parents’ house.  Valentine’s Day was coming to an end and we both avoided looking at the clock hanging above us.  But we had some unfinished business.  After all, who drives 5 hours to go on 3 dates on Valentine’s weekend...and doesn’t get a kiss? 

As I recall, fireworks exploded.  Angels sang.   And I think Mom and Dad let out a relieved “Finally.”  My last first kiss.

Two years later, there is still plenty of eye gazing, eating, and kissing.  And a very special happy food dance for an indescribably irreplaceable Valentime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment