Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: For the Fairy Godmothers

Their  business card should say WEDDING FAIRY GODMOTHERS. They may be planner, coordinator, and florist in name, but they truly make your every wedding dream come true! These wonderful women glided around the church and created beauty as if from a single touch. Their magic wand transformed an empty sanctuary into an overwhelming array of candlelight and flowers. A buffet of fajitas and desserts magically became an exotic lineup of citrusy fruits and elegant delicacies. Where I saw a troublesome—and immovable—welcome counter, they saw bright, welcoming arrangements, scattered petals, and more candles of course!

Most importantly, rather than seeing just a wedding planner, I saw my Aunt Barbara, Aunt Trenna, and friend Mitzi!  These miracle workers put in countless hours to reach absolute perfection.  Oh, what applause I could continue to give, especially in how they took my vague ideas, my last minute worries, and my overall idea and made it come to life!  I'll give you just a glimpse into how my e-mails, voicemails, and texts were transformed into my dreams.
"Aunt Barbara, Dad says we can't move the massive Welcome counter. Can we spruce it up somehow?" Yes they can! I think it was Trenna and Mitzi who handled this little pet peeve.
"Aunt Barbara, for your centerpiece count, it looks like we'll have about 40 tables"
"Make that 50 tables."  No problem.
"Do you have enough candles for the whole stage?" Affirmative.
"We can put candles on the center pillars? Great! I'll just warn AJ and Rev Kev not to make any sudden movements!" Thank you Mitzi for risking injury to get those lit!
"So, looks like we need about 150 more chair covers. Thanks!"
"Well, no I don't have anything to put on the dessert tables. Do you?" Of course they did.
"Mom is allergic to flowers so I don't want them everywhere. What else could we use?" Ferns! Of course!
"Aunt Barbara, it's me again. I think we'll need another 100 chair covers..."
"I hate fellowship halls that look like...well...fellowship halls. But how can we make it a little fancier?" Lemons! Limes! Lovely!
"Ugh! Our cake is wonderful but maybe needs some color. Do you have any extra flowers?" Yes! Yummy!
"I think we need 3 guest book tables. At this point I don't care what you do. I'm getting married!" In their capable hands, I didn't worry a bit!
"I'm thinking Red...orange...big folded leaves...feathers...pearls..." Ahhh, Perfect.
 I don't have to say anymore. Except thank you! Thank you! Thank you! To my wedding fair godmothers, I'll never be able to tell the story of our wedding without a huge nod to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment